Ot, getting win xp working with a samba printer

Gregory Nowak greg at romuald.net.eu.org
Mon Jun 20 16:18:02 EDT 2005

Ok. I've selected to create a standard tcp/ip port thanks to all the
instructions provided on how to find this earlier. I am running into a
problem though in the printer name or IP address edit box. The printer
is on machine linserver, and is named raw1. So, it would be identified
as \\linserver\raw1, or just linserver\raw1. I however don't seem to
be able to type a backslash in that edit box. When I just type
linserver's IP, 192.168.0.1, windows tells me "The device could not be
identified. The detected device is of unknown type." So, I'm not sure
if it's safe for me to go on from here, or if I should select the back
button at this point. The printer does not have its own IP address on
the network, and I am not aware of any samba configuration options
that would allow the printer to have its own IP be assigned on the
network.

Thanks for the previous wonderful help to everyone, and thanks again
in advance.

Greg

On Mon, Jun 20, 2005 at 11:48:57AM -0600, Beth Hatch wrote:
> Hello Greg,
>
> I've got the add printer wizard open right now in front of me, so perhaps I
> can give you some more information that might help.<smile>  I would suggest
> after you select Next on the first part of the add printer wizard, to
> obviously select local printer port as you've already done earlier.  Now,
> uncheck the option that says "Install my plug and play printer."  Choose
> Next.  Now, you'll find check boxes that say either "Select the  Port that
> you want your printer to use", or another  checkbox that says "create a new
> port."    Check the box that says "Create  A New port."  Now, press the tab
> key to get to a combo box that allows you to select the type of port that
> you want to use with your printer.  Two choices that might work for you here
> are LPR port or Standard TCPIP port.  Choose your port and select Next.  If
> you choose Standard TCPIP port, you're asked to enter the printer name or an
> IP address and your desired name for this new port.  I'm sure it's similar
> if you want to do an LPR port.  When you've entered in your desired
> information, select Next.  If you choose an IP address or a printer, if it's
> a valid one it should be found.  You might be asked for a manufacturer or
> printer if such information can't be read.  It should be similar for an LPR
> port.  Write back if I can help further.
>
> Best Regards,
>
> Beth

- --
web site: http://www.romuald.net.eu.org