Ot, getting win xp working with a samba printer

Beth Hatch bhatch200 at comcast.net
Mon Jun 20 13:48:57 EDT 2005

Hello Greg,

I've got the add printer wizard open right now in front of me, so perhaps I
can give you some more information that might help.<smile>  I would suggest
after you select Next on the first part of the add printer wizard, to
obviously select local printer port as you've already done earlier.  Now,
uncheck the option that says "Install my plug and play printer."  Choose
Next.  Now, you'll find check boxes that say either "Select the  Port that
you want your printer to use", or another  checkbox that says "create a new
port."    Check the box that says "Create  A New port."  Now, press the tab
key to get to a combo box that allows you to select the type of port that
you want to use with your printer.  Two choices that might work for you here
are LPR port or Standard TCPIP port.  Choose your port and select Next.  If
you choose Standard TCPIP port, you're asked to enter the printer name or an
IP address and your desired name for this new port.  I'm sure it's similar
if you want to do an LPR port.  When you've entered in your desired
information, select Next.  If you choose an IP address or a printer, if it's
a valid one it should be found.  You might be asked for a manufacturer or
printer if such information can't be read.  It should be similar for an LPR
port.  Write back if I can help further.

Best Regards,

Beth