Lost Insert After Upgrade

Luke Davis ldavis at shellworld.net
Thu Jun 16 01:13:34 EDT 2005

Kernel: 2.4.24
Speakup: 1.5
OS: Debian Woody Stable Linux

I recently upgraded about 250 packages, from woody stable, to what is
probably mostly sarge.

In the middle of my upgrade, using standard debian upgrades and some stuff
from backports (which I guess are normalized now), the insert key on the
numpad stopped working.

The machine had been up for almost 60 days, so I rebooted, thinking it
would fix the problem.
It didn't, so I set the console-data package to "kernel" keyboard map.
Rebooted, and while it still didn't work, I found something interesting:
until about half way through the boot process, it did work!
I could read rest of screen, move to top of screen, move to far left,
etc., until just before the hardware clock update.  Can't tell exactly
where it stops working, however.

I do notice a series of "null symbol found" errors.  They do not seem to
show up in any logs, and I can't tell where in the boot process they
occur (what precedes them scrolls off the screen).

If I try to use loadkeys on the map included with speakup, I get errors,
and it won't load.

Anyone with an idea on how to fix this, before I start trying to fix the
keymap manually, if that's even what is wrong?

Thanks

Luke