making a directory tree:

Steve Dawes sdawes at telus.net
Wed Jun 15 19:45:50 EDT 2005

Can anyone give me any suggestions as to how they would resolve the
following:

I have four directories, let's call them 1 2 3 4.
Now what I would like to do is have the contents of these directories
available in a single directory tree, let's call it alldirs.

I am quite familiar with mount --bind and its strengths, but I cannot figure
out how .
For example, mount --bind 1 alldirs, will expose the contents of 1 in
alldirs, as though the contents of 1 are actually now in alldirs.
However, I cannot figure how to do something similar that would allow me to
combine four directories into one directory tree.
I have tried:
mount --bind 1,2,3,4 alldirs
mount --bind 1 2 3 4 alldirs
mount --bind 1:2:3:4 alldirs