is there a way to send text or to test synth before linux install?

jaffar at jeffstudio.net jaffar at jeffstudio.net
Mon Jun 13 06:40:35 EDT 2005

Hi All.  The subject line says it all.  Is there a way where i can test my serial port and hardware synth with the linux command ls > /dev/ttyS0, for example if my synth were connected to the first serial port of the computer, to see if the serial port will transmit any text command to my dectalk before proceeding with the Linux install?  This is because the fedora or slackware command to do a text based install doesn't seem to be able to materialize with my pc, and i suspect it is because speakup cannot detect my serial port.  Also, i can initiate the first serial port in the command prompt in windows xp, but when I switch it on after a reboot, I'll have to re-initiate it again before it will accept any dos commands.  Is this scenario caused by the fact that I do not have the old version of the MS dos prompt?  What is the best way for me to solve this problem so I can get linux installed?  Cheers!