commands

Michael Whapples Mikster4 at msn.com
Wed Jun 1 16:19:26 EDT 2005

You would be best to read some information about linux. If you are used to
dos commands, also you may wish to try the dos to linux howto, you can find
it at www.linux.org. Something that gives a quick overview of how linux
specifies drives is the speaking install howto with slackware. This is not
enough to teach you all about linux, but gives some information of how linux
refers to hardware.
I will give a quick example of how drives are referred to below.
On my computer windows is installed on the first partition of the first
drive on the IDE bus, c: in windows and /dev/hda1in linux.
Linux is on the second partition of my first drive on the IDE bus, windows
does not recognise it, linux /dev/hda2.
Swap partition for linux is on the third partition of the same drive,
windows does not see this, linux /dev/hda3.
In linux you need to mount a drive in a folder to access it. Linux
automatically mounts the linux partition as /. To access my windows
partition, I need to mount that, so I have a folder called /winpart/
(anything will do), then to mount it I type
mount /dev/hda1 /winpart/
now to access the drive I need to just access the folder /winpart/ as any
other folder.
For convenience, I have linux automatically mount my windows partition on
start up, then I just need to access /winpart/ to access the partition.
Hope this helps.
Michael