default speakup for Debian Sarge

Charles Hallenbeck chuckh at hhs48.com
Sun Jul 31 06:13:05 EDT 2005

I am putting Debian Sarge on a new system here, and am starting with the
"speakup26" boot choice, which installs a speakup modified 2.6.8 kernel
initially. But on my system, the mark/cut/paste feature locks up the
computer requiring a hard reset to recover. Pressing 'mark' works fine,
but moving the cursor to the other end of the desired string and
pressing 'cut' kills the system.

Actually I don't know exactly what gets killed, but there is no more
speech, and the keyboard is unresponsive.

Has anyone else performed this installation? Was your experience the
same or different? I plan to replace 2.6.8 with 2.6.11 pretty quickly,
but if there is a quick fix to tide me over I would appreciate knowing
about it.

Thanks,
Chuck

But you can still get downloads from http://www.mhcable.com/~chuckh