An idea,

Kenny Hitt kenny at hittsjunk.net
Wed Jul 27 00:33:03 EDT 2005

Hi.

At the Xserver level, you don't have any
information but draw this pixle using this comvination of rgb data.
This pixel should be drawn on this screen of this display.

The text info and control type are at the library level and not at the
Xserver level.

The best comparison I've come up with to MS windows is to think of the
Xserver as the drivers for video, keyboard, and mouse.  Even the
implimentation and management of windows on the screen is handled by an
app that just talks to the Xserver.

If you want to see this, create an .xinitrc file that only starts the
Xserver and no apps.  You will have a screen with a mouse pointer.  You
can move the pointer, but that will be it.  Since no window manager or
app will be running, you can only kill off the Xserver, change the
screen resolution, or move a useless mouse pointer around a screen.
BTW, the words "screen"and "display"have different and specific meanings
in X.  My explanation above mixes terms to try to get across my point.
I've read some X HOWTOs that do a better job of explaining it, but I
think you get the idea.  Since current distros set up X for you
automatically, you don't need to follow the instructions in an X HOWTO,
but they are worth reading for educational purposes.

To get the best results with Gnome, you need an app that uses gtk2, a
screen reader that understands the info sent by the gtk2 accessibility
structure (atspi), and a window manager that also sends window events to
atspi.

For KDE accessibility, substitute KDE for Gnome and qt4 for gtk2 in the
previous paragraph.

Hope this helps.
          Kenny