Speakup installation

Steve Dawes sdawes at telus.net
Sun Jul 24 11:26:51 EDT 2005

Chuck,

It isn't quite that bad. Your type'o has suggested that a full install is 14
cds. I think you meant to say 4 cds. If you install all source in addition
to all the binaries, you end up with 7 or 8 cds or 2 dvds.

The problem I have with the selecting everything, or doing the full install,
is that it is the easy way out. Yes it works, but it installs a lot of
unnecessary stuff and uses up a lot of resources. A good case in point is
that it installs both kde and gnome.
Additionally, it doesn't install absolutely everything as it implies, it
installs almost everything on the binary disks and you need to install the
source separately if you wish to. This approach also does nothing in
teaching how to set up a system with only the packages you need and want.

If you are only going to be using console based programs, there is no need
to install any of the kde or gnome packages. It is incredible how much space
can be saved when you take this approach.

Now I am not knocking the installation howto that Janina has written. I am
saying that what it does is a quick and easy install that gets the first
time user up-and-running on Linux. What I would like to see however, is
something that tells the user where they can find out more information on
how to trim down their installation to only the packages they are going to
use included in the howto. A simple reference to the Linux document page
does nothing to direct a new or novice user to good information about
creating a smaller or tidier installation.

Steve

Steve Dawes
Calgary Canada.