bookshare.org unpack

Janina Sajka janina at rednote.net
Thu Jul 21 16:15:13 EDT 2005

Let me answer the question about better access in Linux to BookShare
DAISY markup.

There are two points that are important:

1.)	We need a decent user agent. Perhaps Listen-Up will eventually
handle DAISY 3. I hope so. Meanwhile, we all know Kirk is overloaded, so
rolled up sleeves from competent programmers are the best way to get
from point A to point B on this one.

2.)	The DAISY markup BookShare uses is broken. They know that. They
know they need to fix it. But, they're reluctant to start on that until
we cann all agree on exactly how the markup should be done. I don't
blame them. They don't want to put in a fix only to find out they need
to put in another fix yet again. On this point everyone is hedging their
bets waiting for players and for the markup to settle down more
permanently.