question about srpms

Janina Sajka janina at rednote.net
Tue Jul 19 15:14:17 EDT 2005

Well, we're in open source here, right? So, the SRPM packages provide
the source code which generated the binary RPM packages you usually
install from.

And, yes, you can compile from these, if you have reason to. You install
them the ordinary way:

rpm -iv [srpm-package-name.rpm]

This puts the sources in /usr/src/redhat/SOURCE and the .spec file in
/usr/src/redhat/SPECS. From there you can tweak, rebuild with rpmbuild,
etc.

This is how the Speakup Modified is generated, by the way.