a converison program for xls files?

Janina Sajka janina at rednote.net
Thu Jul 14 21:19:05 EDT 2005

Hi, Karen:

No particular password is needed on my ftp site. It's a public site, so
the customary 'anonymous' login and your email address as password will
get you in. Heck, you can even skip the password in my case.

Unfortunately, it doesn't sem it reads more recent xls formats, and I
wouldn't get too excited about its clain to transform PowerPoint as I'm
sure it just wraps a graphic image in a few html tags. But, maybe it
will meet your needs. It works for me sometimes.

You might want to get xlhtml via yum, if you're using Fedora. Or via apt
if on Debian. Here's the current rpm entry:

Name        : xlhtml                       Relocations: (not
relocatable)
Version     : 0.5                               Vendor: (none)
Release     : 4                             Build Date: Mon 23 May 2005
11:29:05 PM EDT
Install Date: Thu 14 Jul 2005 08:33:36 PM EDT      Build Host: extras64
Group       : Applications/Text             Source RPM:
xlhtml-0.5-4.src.rpm
Size        : 147200                           License: GPL
Signature   : DSA/SHA1, Thu 26 May 2005 08:47:21 AM EDT, Key ID
82ed95041ac70ce6
URL         : http://chicago.sourceforge.net/xlhtml/
Summary     : Excel 95/97 and PowerPoint to HTML converter
Description :
The xlhtml program will take an Excel 95, or 97 file as input and
convert it to HTML. The output is via standard out so it can be
re-directed to files or piped to filters or used as a gateway to the
internet. pptHtml program converts PowerPoint files to HTML.