ot, accent pc problem

Gregory Nowak greg at romuald.net.eu.org
Fri Jul 8 19:28:04 EDT 2005

Hi all.

In my server, I have an accent pc which I got about 2 years ago, back
when there was that last big sale of the accent pc and sa units. My
server was running as usual, when I heard clicks from my accent pc's
external speaker. This was during the night, and I found in the
morning that I was getting no speech. So, I plugged in a pair of
headphones which I know to be good, and only heard a quiet hissing
sound, instead of the soft wine that the accent makes whenever it has
power going to it. I then turned the volume knob all the way up, but
no change.

I then tried to reboot the pc, and power it off for about 10 minutes,
but each time, when the power was turned off and then back on, all I got
were soft clicks from the accent, instead of the usual "accent ready"
message whenever the unit is reset. This was when I powered the
machine off and on of course, there was no change in the soft hissing
sound during the reboot, and no accent ready message. Also, speakup
failed to find the synth during the probe.

I then opened the machine up, removed the accent, checked if there
were any loose chips on the board, and for anything else unusual, but
all looks fine. I then reinserted the card back into the machine, but
again got no "accent ready" when I powered back up.

I powered on and off a few more times with the machine open, and got
"accent ready" message a couple of times, but by the time the kernel
had loaded, and speakup was probing for the accent, the familiar soft
wine of the accent was again replaced by the hissing sound, and
speakup failed to find the synth, as it had done when I rebooted and
powered off and then on again the first time around.

I have also tried the accent in another machine with an ISA slot, and
didn't get the accent ready message there either.

Since I did get the accent to say "accent ready" a couple of times at
power up, I am led to conclude that my accent is not dead, but that
there seems to be a bad connection somewhere, most likely on the
accent board. However, I don't know what else to check for. Any
suggestions on what to look for would be very much appreciated. Thanks
in advance. BTW, this isn't a dip switch issue, since I never changed
those after getting the board, and this as I said happened when the
server was running, and powered on.

Greg

- --
web site: http://www.romuald.net.eu.org