Speakup and Kernel-2.6.12:

Kirk Reiser kirk at braille.uwo.ca
Thu Jul 7 14:14:08 EDT 2005

Hi Steve:  I have to apologize because I was waiting to hear from Bill
before making a general announcement.  I have not heard from him so I
will assume temporarily that all went well with his last patches and
retract it later if necessary.

I have had to make major modifications to speakup to suit the 2.6.12
kernel release.  The kernel console developers changed the basic
structure of the console code to consolidate most of the virtual
console attributes into one array of pointers and attributes.  I
believe the changes were good overall but had to do a lot of
reconfiguring to get speakup compliant.  Truthfully, I think speakup
still needs some major changes itself to properly utilize the kernel
modifications.  Hopefully I will find some time to work on that before
too long.

To make all these changes means that speakup in cvs is no longer
compatible with kernel versions before 2.6.12 including 2.4.xx.
Therefore for anyone needing to patch kernels before 2.6.12 it will be
necessary to use the speakup-2.0.tar.gz tarball from the
linux-speakup.org ftp area.

Well, that's basically it from me.  Bill may have more to add for
Fedora fans specifically, I don't know.  I imagine he will have new
Fedora disks available as soon as he recovers from the
A.C.B. convention.

  Kirk

phone: (519) 661-3061