Having trouble to print out password line

Ned ngranic at cox.net
Mon Jan 31 01:44:07 EST 2005

Hi all,
I am a total novice in Linux (well, the class is intro to Unix), so I need a little help on this.
"This" refers to the following instructions:

6. Print out your line of the password file. Please note the space after your name and before the file name /etc/passwd. It is needed.
username at gort ~ $ grep your-username /etc/passwd | lpr

------
So I did substitute my username in the example command line above, but nothing happens. Tried a number of times.

Let's resume:
Turn in the printout from part
marked as follows:
your-name
***
Lab
4.1:
Setup UNIX account
the number of hidden files in your directory.
------

We are using PuTTY and SSH.
I successfully changed my initial password with passwd command, but this second part of the first lab about printing out the password line can't get to work.
Also, when I enter man command, it asks me what manual do I want? Is there any for a beginner like myself that will be useful to start with?

Many thanks in advance!
Ned