new hardware

Laura Eaves leaves1 at carolina.rr.com
Fri Jan 14 20:18:02 EST 2005

Hello --
I just got my new DecTalk in the mail today -- wasn't going to get a
hardware synth, but from the posts on this list, I deecided it would be a
good idea.
Anyway, now I need a machine and would like to get a laptop if possible, but
wanted to get recommendations first.
Is it hard to run linux on a laptop? Are there any added complexities
running it with speakup?
What about drivers for the particular hardware? If you aren't able to
connect to the net wethout a driver, I assume the driver has to be
downloaded on another pc and transfered by CD or floppy, but does it have to
be compiled for linux, or is that below the OS level so that it will run
with any OS?
Sorry for the dumb questions, but I am a relative newbie on administrative
issues.
Thanks in advance.
--le