An Accessible Adobe Reader for Linux

Janina Sajka janina at rednote.net
Thu Jan 13 07:58:42 EST 2005

This is a reasonable question, Kenny.

Let me start by agreeing that, all things being equal, there's nothing
to be gained. But, all things aren't equal. For example, it takes much
more in the way of system resources to run gnome with reasonable
performance. The difference isn't slight, but quite large. For the blind
user, those are all wasted resources, wasted on painting a gui that we
don't see.

Another example is portability. I'm expecting several devices will
become available in the next year or two that run Linux--portable
devices that you carry around like you might carry a Braille Note today.
These will be ncurses capable, but will undoubtedly not be gnopernicus
capable.

Lastly, there's the inequality of the AT itself. Of course someone
should continue working on gnopernicus, and someone will. I'm not sure
there has been much "we" in that process, despite the open license, for
various reasons. I'm not sure how much "we" there will be going forward
either, for various reasons. But, I am sure there will be continued
development until a robust, reliable, and effective screen reader for
the gui emerges. I'm sure there will be such a thing, and I'm sure it
will read QT4 based apps as well as GTK+ ones, because the fat cats need
such a screen reader to keep selling to our Uncle Sam.

Now, I will confess to a certain degree of impatience. However, that's
not the whole story. Most to the point, I don't believe it would be
necessary to contrive a ncurses interface for each individual app one
wanted to port. If that were so, I would judge such a suggestion futile.
The beauty of at-poke resides in the fact that it is generic. It simply
generates a report. I believe that "report" could be turned into a
generic, interactive menu. Remember that there is a gnome AT tool called
gok, the gnome on screen keyboard. It's designed to accept input, where
gnopernicus is designed to deliver alternative output. Gok can take
input from all kinds of mechanisms, simple serial switch on up. And, it
handles them very intelligently. Unlike gnopernicus, it is a gnome
accessibility success already.