Kernel Compilation Successful!

ace ace at talkingirc.com
Sun Jan 9 18:29:22 EST 2005

Hello,

Thanks to everyone who replied to me regarding my kernel compilation
questions.  The only section of make menuconfig I really edited was the
Speakup section.  Gladly, bc they were all turned off by
default.  Everything compiled perfectly; I am now on Linux 2.6.10.

I've noticed something odd, though.  On 2.4.26, I'd hear a beep from the PC
speaker whenever the system wanted to get my attention--when I pressed
backspace at the beginning of the prompt or when I got a broadcast
message--with 2.6.10, I no longer hear beeps.  This isn't a problem, it's
just something I was used to in the 2.4.X kernels.

Also, is there any documentation on adjusting Speakup speech parameters?  I
don't care much for the defaults and would like to change it.  I figured
some of it out on my own, but don't know how to save it so the changes take
effect next time the system is booted.

Thanks,
Robby

Network Administrator of