Kernel Compilation

ace ace at talkingirc.com
Sat Jan 8 01:58:19 EST 2005

Hello,

I am running Slackware version 10.0 freshly installed.  I have a few
questions.  I've installed Linux on a few older computers but did not have
the chance to really mess around with it bc those systems sucked.

Firstly, I am aware that Slackware 10 comes with kernel 2.4.26.  Will it
work with the latest 2.6.X kernel if I download it from kernel.org and
patched it with the latest Speakup sources?

I have never successfully compiled a kernel before.  Last time, it was on
my friend's box and I severely screwed it.  What are the steps one must go
through to compile a kernel?  Must I pay attention to each individual
option that the configure script asks?  There are over hundreds it seems
and I can barely understand any of them.

Thanks for any information.

Robby

Network Administrator of
irc.talkingirc.com