Speakup Questions

Janina Sajka janina at rednote.net
Fri Jan 7 10:02:15 EST 2005

Is there a way? Of course ther is.

The underlying approach relies on the fact that Speakup's drivers are
built as kernel modules which can be inserted into, and removed from the
kernel. Of course, when removed, speech is unavailable.

The remove and recommended insertion commands, respectively, are rmmod
and modprobe.

Example with the doubletalk, only because I remember it's designation
without looking things up:

rmmod speakup_dtlk
modprobe speakup_dtlk

You may want to install and use Chuck Hallenbeck's "speakwith" script,
or even the config tool now available from the Speakup site. Someone
else needs to point you more precisely to those--sorry about that part.

As for making something permanent:

The "permanance" is actually documented in the installation HOWTO. It's
the part about creating an initrd, an "initial ramdisk image." Follow
those steps to create a new initrd -- with the synth of your choosing --
when you're ready to make something different permanent.