speakup and serial hubs?

Chris Gray christopher_gray at symantec.com
Thu Jan 6 17:47:30 EST 2005

Hi Justin:

Due to the nature of the RS232-C serial specification, there are
complications about having something put together like a serial hubb.
The serial hardware alone takes a fair amount of electronics, the way
way serial ports are implemented through the motherboard doesn't lend
itself to a hubb like you see today with USB devices.  It's a creative
question though.

Before USB, there were lots of board made that attempted to do what you
are suggesting, or variants of that.  Enough serial devices still exist
that you might be able to find such a device today.  Typically, these
were boards that had 4, or more separate serial ports on them, with a
ton of jumpers to modify IRQ and port addresses.  Beware of cards with
connectors that are just nullcross-overs for the same port; those won't
help you.  You must have separate, discrete ports and
connectors/jumpers to them.

whether you can find such a card that's both PCI and
affordable is an interesting question. I called a local, relatively
large computer store here in San Francisco Central Computers, because
all this made me curious and they have fairly decent customer service.
I'm slightly surprised, but It turns out they have a high speed i/o card
with two ports for $19.99 from Vitex, it's even in stock!  If they carry
it, I bet you could order something from Comp USA if you've got the
patience, or find something localy or online.

Hope this helps.

Chris