Stuck in TAR

David Bruzos david at bruzos.org
Sun Jan 2 23:36:48 EST 2005

Hello Nick:
I can help you with this one, but I do not understand your question.
Are your files in the .rar format or in some other format.  Are they
.tar.gz or .tar.bz2?

If your files are in rar archive format, you will not be able to extract
them using tar.  You will have to use the rar program to extract them.
However, if your files are in tar.bz2 format or .tar.gz you can do:

To extract:
# tar -xjf file.tar.bz2
or:
# tar -xzf file.tar.gz

To compress to .bz2 or gz do:
# tar -cjf output-file.tar.bz2 directory1 directory2 ...
or:
# tar -czf output-file.tar.gz dir1 dir2 ...

If you just want to incapsulate a directory tree in tar, just do:
# tar -cf file.tar directory/

Note: This last command will not compress the files, it will just
archive them.

You can also compress files directly (without tar) by doing:
# bzip2 file-name

Note:  This will not encapsulate the files, it will just compress them
individually.

A note about bzip2 and gz:  Bz2 has the best compression ratio out of
the two, but it takes much longer than gz to compress.  Bz2 is specially
good for binary files and other such formats.  Rar is good too, but it
is extremely slow, closed source, and generally not justified to be
used.  Bz2 still compresses much faster than rar though.

Hope this helps!

David Bruzos