networking

Janina Sajka janina at rednote.net
Sat Jan 1 10:02:12 EST 2005

Hi, Eric:

Congrats on getting Linux installed.

To see if your ethernet device is loaded, look at the output of:

lsmod

I believe Broadcom is quite well supported, but look in the file
/etc/modprobe.conf to see if an ethernet driver for your ethernet port
(probably eth0) was created.

To see if the device is configured for networking, do:

ifconfig

The output of this command should show the configuration first for your
ethernet devices and lastly for localhost. To see only the configuration
for the first ethernet device, you would do:

ifconfig eth0

Theoutput begins with the mac address. The second line of output
contains the ip address, netmask, and broadcast addresses for that
interface.

Next, you need to ascertain that you have correctly specified a gateway:

route

If you haven't, try:

route add default gw [address] eth0

where [address] is the address of your gateway.

Data for configuring your devices is stored in various files under
/etc/sysconfig/.

You should have configured networking during the installation. If it
isn't configured, run:

setup

as root and select network configuration.

PS: "localhost/notebook" is not a supported syntax.