How do I get speakup and brltty to live happily on the same system with hardware synthesis

Janina Sajka janina at rednote.net
Wed Feb 16 15:21:08 EST 2005

You might also want to put a switch on your serial port, so that you can
select your synth or your braille display without having always to
rewire them.

When you do this kind of setup, you simply do your initialization by
hand, possibly from scripts that you keep to expedite the task.

And, you might want to put little beeps and bleeps in key files to help
you along in the process, if you're booting without speech/braille. For
example, on my Fedora boxes, I put the following in my /etc/rc.local:

aplay /boot/boot.wav

I find this helpful for letting me know when the bootup process is about
finished, and the system is ready for me to login.

With Gnome, it's possible to have gdm beep when the graphical dialog
comes up. So, I do both.