debian - reading .gz files

Charles Hallenbeck chuckh at hhs48.com
Sat Aug 27 16:05:15 EDT 2005

Chris,
Your Slackware box had an environment variable that cleverly caused less
to use gunzip if it had to, before paging through the file. I cannot
recall what that variable looked like, but if you still have your
Slackware distro, try slogging through the lengthy man page on less to
see how that worked. You can probably duplicate that trick on Debian.

Welcome to Debian, by the way.

Chuck