Installing Speakup on FC4

Liz Hare doggene at earthlink.net
Tue Aug 23 19:03:24 EDT 2005

Hello,
I'm having to install speakup on FC4 myself rather than use a
speakup-modified distribution because I have a 64 bit setup.

I am having trouble getting the install script to work following the
directions in the installation file.

Redhat has some different conventions when it comes to locations for source
code and stuff.  I've followed the directions, making a symlink
/usr/src/linux, but the install program isn't finding what it needs.  I've
tried pointing the symlink to different levels of the tree with no luck.

Also, the install program reports that it can't find a Makefile it  needs
and I have no idea where it's supposed to be!

Is there anywhere I can read about where all this stuff goes and how to get
it to work?
I'm having to borrow eyeballs to work on this and it's frustrating and
would be nice to get it fixed soon so I can solve all the other problems
I'm having like getting the network card working, etc.!

Liz