Alsa question

Janina Sajka janina at rednote.net
Tue Aug 16 09:05:55 EDT 2005

Hi, Gregg:

The RC in alsa file names stands for "Release Candidate." Typically,
there are a few such release candidates issued prior to the release of a
new version of some alsa technology.

I don't recall precisely when dmix was introduced as a default
technology in alsa-1.0.9, but you're using a pre-release version if
you're on RC2. In fact, they went to RC4 before release, as I recall.

The technology you're looking for is called dmix, and it's not well
documented, as so much in alsa is not well documented. It should create
a file called .asoundrc in your $HOME.

I hope this is enough to google with. I'm sorry I don't have a more
precise pointer for you.