Changing the volume of the sounds in bash

Janina Sajka janina at rednote.net
Mon Aug 15 16:03:18 EDT 2005

Hi, Darragh:

At last. Someone else who thinks the default pitch of the Ctrl-G beep is
too shrill! I've been tweaking mine for years, to some degree of scorn
from some--but I diagress.

setterm is your friend on this point. I use the following via my
.bashrc:

setterm -bfreq 55

This gives me an A you could tune to.