sarge: getting als to work

Kenny Hitt kenny at hittsjunk.net
Mon Aug 15 12:58:56 EDT 2005

Hi.

The easiest way will be to upgrade to a 2.6 kernel.  This way you won't
need to duild the alsa modules from source.

The 2.4.27 kernel on the installer has an old version of speakup, and
was only intencded for installing.

I am running a 2.6 kernel with alsa built as modules.  All I have to do
to get alsa working is

apt-get install alsa-base

You will need to install additional packages to build software that uses
alsa, but that should get sound up and running.

Hope this helps.
          Kenny