Alsa question

Hynek Hanke hanke at volny.cz
Mon Aug 15 12:31:12 EDT 2005

On Mon, Aug 15, 2005 at 09:37:14AM -0400, Janina Sajka wrote:
> alsa only emmulates oss.
> Since oss only supports one sound source at a time, alsa can't fix that
> behavior by emmulating what oss does and how it behaves.

I don't think so. On soundcards able to play multiple streams at once, it's
possible to open /dev/dsp multiple times even with OSS. So if the emulation is
done correctly, and it operates over dmix, it should be possible to open
/dev/dsp by more applications.

Actually I've read in some dmix how-to this is supposed to work.

But I'm also a little puzzled with the magic of /etc/asound.conf and with what
it's supposed to contain to make dmix and oss emulation work (and the last step,
make them work together).

I would recommend asking on alsa-users at alsa-project.org.

With regards,
Hynek Hanke