reducing line-in volume for recording

Janina Sajka janina at rednote.net
Fri Aug 12 16:37:03 EDT 2005

Hi, Greg:

You pretty much want to take care of this during recording, if you can.
If you get a distorted recording, it's going to be hard, if not
impossible, to get rid of the distortion.

You should have separate lin in level controls on your input line. You
should be able to adjust it via alsamixer (or amixer).

Caution: If the output you're using is headphone and not line out,
you're going to be running extremely hot--far too hot for the integrity
of your componants. You will need extremely low input levels to
compensate.