Need to install speakup on Suse 9.3

Janina Sajka janina at rednote.net
Tue Aug 9 10:37:26 EDT 2005

I don't follow your logic, Darragh. Are you expecting that Speakup will
somehow do for you what Brltty has been unable to do? If so, I would
hope you have a sound basis for such an expectation.

The best I can tell you about Speakup on Suse is what I have previously
reported. To my knowledge, no one has succeededwith that. I know several
have tried, including me. The closest I got was a speaking kernel panic.

Now, you maty get further, but that takes me back to the original
question. Are you after some development work? Or do you just need to
perform some task. If the latter,grab a Speakup enabled Fedora, Debian,
or whatever, and ssh to that Suse box. I suspect you're going to find
that yast will still not work--for the same reason it isn't working with
sbl. Of course, I could be very wrong.