Root file system mounted read only

Joseph C. Lininger jbahm at pcdesk.net
Fri Aug 5 18:05:07 EDT 2005

Ok, try checking the following things. Some of this seems basic, but
since gentoo is very "do it yourself" you will want to check it anyway.

1. Which release of gentoo are you using? If it is not a recent one, you
sometimes have to pass a boot argument to get it to use udev in favor of
devfs.
2. emerge -a udev
3. Disable devfs in the kernel. I believe you already said you did this
one.
4. Finally, after making sure all of the others are in place, check
/etc/fstab and ensure there is an entry for your root filesystem there,
and that the "ro" option is not in the fourth collumn.

- --
It's not one damn thing after another, it's the same damn thing over and
over. (History repeats itself)
Joseph C. Lininger
jbahm at pcdesk.net
Verification: 5eab38a77ac40416e075be8f50607ff7

And so it came to pass that on Fri, 5 Aug 2005, Doug Lawlor said