speakup, speechd-up, speech-dispatcher and languages

Hynek Hanke,,, hanke at volny.cz
Thu Aug 4 05:56:47 EDT 2005

> I have a notebook with software speech using the programs in the
> subject-line.
> In speech-dispatcher, I have two modules configured: flite and a generic
> module used for afrikaans speech.  I want to be able to switch languages
> on the fly.

I don't think the interface provided by SpeakUp to Speechd-up supports
switching languages on the fly. When this is solved, it's easy to configure
Speech Dispatcher to switch modules according to languages (the option
LanguageDefaultModule in {prefix}/etc/speechd.conf).

Do you have any idea, Kirk?

I don't know which language charset do you use for Afrikaans. If that's
iso-8859-1 then you won't have problems with encoding, but there *will* be
problems otherwise.

With regards,
Hynek