setting security bits on UNIX

Ralph W. Reid rreid at sunset.net
Tue Apr 26 14:53:40 EDT 2005

I'm not sure why chmod won't work unless you are not the owner of the
file.  Try:

chmod 755 filename.html

where filename.html is the file you want to make available.  Umask is
used to set the default file permissions, not to change the
permissions on the fly.  See the man pages for chmod, umask, and bash
for more info.  HTH, and have a _great_ day.