help with a speakup installation

Kristoffer Gustafsson skeeter at allmail.net
Fri Apr 22 13:18:14 EDT 2005

On Fri, 22 Apr 2005 11:35:11 -0500, "Gene Collins"
<collins at gene3.ait.iastate.edu> said:
> Hi Kristoffer.  It somewhat depends on which Linux distribution you are
> using.
>
> I'm using Debian, so I can only answer about that distribution.
>
> For Debian, you need to edit the /etc/speech-dispatcher/speechd.conf
> file.  Follow the comments in the file, and uncomment the festival and
> port lines.
>
> You will also need to edit your /etc/init.d/festival file.  You will
> find a comment that says, "# comment out the following line to start a
> festival server."
>
> If memory serves, you also need to edit /usr/share/festival/festival.scm
> and make sure that the name "localhost" is in the access list.
>
> If you are running something other than Debian, then someone else will
> have to answer your questions.
>
> Gene

Hello!
thanks! this defenitely makes thinks more clear for me.

Ok, I have still two questions.

1. Can I  skip editing the file to start a festival server, and instead
run a server in the background from the shell I'm working in?
I mean festival -server &

2. Is speakup multi console, or is it like yasr that I have to start it
in every console I'm using.

ok, just a third question, but that question will maybe make some of you
happy.

I find it very dificult to download all packages I need to install
speech-dispatcher. all things like libasound and the other tools.Would
you like to see a place on the internet where all these things are
available at the same time along with a speakup &festival howto?
If you are interested in that Please write to the list or directly to
me.
If enough people are interested I'll begin to work on this.
/kristoffer
 Kristoffer Gustafsson
Solsäter Månstadsvägen 3
51453 Månstad