installing rpms on FC3

Janina Sajka janina at rednote.net
Thu Apr 21 17:05:12 EDT 2005

Advantages of rpm? Dependency management and version control.

You can certainly install by hand, man rpm is your friend. Example:

rpm -Uv [some.app.rpm]

The preferred rpm front end these days is yum. You should examine
/etc/yum.conf and /etc/yum.repos.d/ and then run a command like:

yum update

PS: You may also wish to add the recently opened Fedora Extras
repository:

http://download.fedora.redhat.com/pub/fedora/linux/extras/