mail getting lost question

Raul A. Gallegos raul at asmodean.net
Wed Apr 20 21:30:44 EDT 2005

Hi.  I'm not sure where to start troubleshooting the problem and am
hoping someone can give some suggestions.

It appears that when sending mail to some places using my FC3 box that
mail gets lost.  I do not receive any bounced message nor does the mail
get received.  For my MUA I use mutt with fetchmail grabbing mail from
my hosting service.  I was using exim as my mta with smarthost setup for
outgoing mail which authenticated to my hosting service.  I tried
sending a message to a mailing list on smartgroups and did not see it
posted.  I was receiving mail just fine from the list and did confirm I
was subscribed under the correct email address.  I then went to my
Windows box using Outlook Express and sent a message to the smartgroups
list and it went through.  The Outlook outgoing mail is set up to use my
hosting service as it's smtp authenticator as well.  Basically the
difference is that it did not go through my Linux MTA.

I thought for some reason the problem may have been exim so I switched
it to using postfix.  Configured it to authenticate outgoing mail to my
hosting service and still get the same results.  So far I've mainly
noticed this with the smartgroups.com domain but a few others have told
me they have not received mail from me when I know I sent out messages.

The logs of exim or postfix show the message went out successfully.
Either that or I am not sure of what to look for exactly.

Any ideas?