parallel port not working

Gregory Nowak greg at romuald.net.eu.org
Mon Apr 18 14:01:47 EDT 2005

Hi all.

I have a Dell demention v350 here, with a non-working parallel port under
gnu/linux at least. I have the following showing up in my dmesg
output:

"lp: driver loaded but no devices found"

it producing a "device or resource busy" message, but I can't find
that now in dmesg, assuming that it actually was there in the first
place. The parallel port is not disabled in bios, and it does work,
because when I was running windows on this machine, the parallel port
did show up in device manager. Also, if I try something like:

echo "test" >/dev/lp0

I get:

"bash: /dev/lp0: No such device or address"

Both the parport, and the lp modules are loaded:

"Module                  Size  Used by    Not tainted
lp                      6624   0
parport                25984   0  [lp]"

Finally, in my 2.4.30 .config file I have:

"# Parallel port support
#
CONFIG_PARPORT=m
CONFIG_PARPORT_PC=m
CONFIG_PARPORT_PC_CML1=m
# CONFIG_PARPORT_SERIAL is not set
# CONFIG_PARPORT_PC_FIFO is not set
CONFIG_PARPORT_PC_SUPERIO=y
# CONFIG_PARPORT_PC_PCMCIA is not set
# CONFIG_PARPORT_AMIGA is not set
# CONFIG_PARPORT_MFC3 is not set
# CONFIG_PARPORT_ATARI is not set
# CONFIG_PARPORT_GSC is not set
# CONFIG_PARPORT_SUNBPP is not set
# CONFIG_PARPORT_IP22 is not set
# CONFIG_PARPORT_OTHER is not set
CONFIG_PARPORT_1284=y"

The only thing I have not tried is to load the parport module, and
explicitly specify the irq and i/o address, and that's because I don't
remember what those are by default for the first parallel port. I
think the irq is 7, but can't remember the i/o address. I'm out of
ideas, so any constructive feedback would be very much
appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Greg

- --
web site: http://www.romuald.net.eu.org