audio players

Charles Hallenbeck chuckh at hhs48.com
Mon Apr 18 08:14:41 EDT 2005

Okay, I got farther. With debhelper installed, the configuration
proceeds until it needs png support, then dies and asks me to install
libpng and libpng_dev, but apt-get cannot find libpng, even after doing
an update.

Question: Should I have multiple entries in my source.list? Or are they
mostly mirrors? At present I have mirrors.kernel.org, ftp.us.debian.org,
and http://linux.csua.berkeley.edu/debian/.

Would it help to add other sources?

On Mon, 18 Apr 2005, Kenny Hitt wrote:

> Hi.
>
> When I run
>
> apt-file search dh_testdir
>
> I get the following:
>
> debhelper: usr/bin/dh_testdir
>
> Running
>
> apt-get install debhelper
>
> will fix the problem.
>
> I use Debian's packages as much as possible, but if there isn't an
> official package, I like to make sure the program I build is a local
> Debian package and configured closest for my system.
>
> Hope this helps.
>          Kenny
>
> On Mon, Apr 18, 2005 at 05:16:30AM -0400, Charles Hallenbeck wrote:
>> Hi Kenny,
>>
>> When I tried the "fakroot" shortcut, I had a missing component there
>> too, with no clue how to find it. The script stopped with a message
>> about "dh_testdir" not being found. I agree with you about the merits of
>> local compiling, but the apt-get convenience is compelling. I have
>> evidently overlooked some critical -dev files and have to figure out
>> what.
>>
>> Chuck
>>

>> On Mon, 18 Apr 2005, Kenny Hitt wrote:
>>
>>> Hi.
>>>
>>> Here's how I built mplayer from source.
>>> I ran the script in the debian subdir of the mplay source instead of
>>> just running ./configure.  This script told me the packages needed to be
>>> installed when it couldn't find things.
>>> In case it doesn't, install the apt-file package.  You will need to
>>> run
>>>
>>> apt-file update
>>>
>>> before it will be useful.
>>>
>>> After that, when the configure process doesn't find something, use
>>> apt-file search filename
>>>
>>> to find the package containing the file.  I like using the script
>>> instead of getting someone's pre-built package because I ended up with a
>>> mplayer Debian package built specific to my system.  For example, it is
>>> built for my AMD cpu instead of auto detecting the cpu each time it starts.
>>>
>>> Hope this helps.
>>>         Kenny
>>
>> --
>> The Moon is Waxing Gibbous (66% of Full)
>> "Things are in the saddle, and they ride mankind." Ralph Waldo Emerson
>> Visit my download site at http://www.mhcable.com/~chuckh

The Moon is Waxing Gibbous (68% of Full)