speech server for the keynote gold sa.

jim grimsby jimgrims at pacbell.net
Fri Apr 15 14:18:37 EDT 2005

Hi all.
Is there or will there bee a server for the keynote gold sa. Why I ask.
Well When I got speakup I got also some second hand synths. One is a
dectalk express.
 Speech is good. But for one thing. Either the serial cord which is a
bit exposed or the power pack is loose or something inside is loose or
brocken but I have to be vary carefull when placing the unit and
sometime have to tap it twice or so to make it work.
Well if you ever decide that you want to sell it let me know.  I could
repair that device with no problems.
 I have a keynote gold, which except for a slightly brocken speaker
cover, still works. I know you have keynote gold pc support, but not the
sa. It would bee good if There was support for the keynote sa though. I
am a beginner of linux and must use it for course. I was planning to use
fedora on a old laptop system which works well for the course and
onwards, but this synth issue may decide that future. If by the end of
my course, 3 months well realy 6 weeks or so, 8 if you count the
holidays I don't find a solution, then I wil not use linux on it, I
can't trust the synth. The thing is I didn't spend any cash to get the
synths, the cd images. or anything. The only money I spent was the
hundred dollars for the second hand system and the 50 or so dollars on
ebay for its power supply. I don't realy want to spend for stuff I don't
need. A would like to use isn't actually a I will need as in a few weeks
or so, the course will end. I will not need linux at that time. I would
like it but will not need it.
You can use a software synthesizer witch would work just fine for what
you need.
If the laptop has a sound card software speech should work ok.  Depends
on how fast the laptop is though.  If it is a 133 or faster it should
work.
Hth

also, how do I slow my speech rate down in speakup?
And while I am on the subject of synths, can I turn the pitch down? And
can I select the other voices in dectalk? thanks in advance.
I think you might want to read the speakup users guide a wonderful
document that can be found at the speakup home page.
www.linux-speakup.org
If that does not answer your questions
Press insert f1 and review the help system.  If that does not do it post
what the confusion is and we will try to help.
Hth