problem with Alsa and surround sound

Monty Lilburn monty at bc.cx
Thu Apr 7 10:11:53 EDT 2005

Hello List,

I posted a similar message on the alsa list but did not get a response.
In reviewing the speakup archives and my every now and again monitoring I
know there loads of alsa enthusiasts who hang out on Speakup.  Hopefully
someone can help!

I recently upgraded my machine to an AMD64 running Debian and ALSA.
Previous to this, I was running an Intel32 machine running Slackware and
OSS/emu-tools.  Needless to say,  I'm a big-time newby when it comes to
the architecture, sound driver and Linux distro.

I am experiencing several difficulties with my set-up of a Via82xx
on-board chip and SB-live + LiveDrive II.  Most of these are resolvable (I
hope) and is just a case of getting comfortable with ALSA and amixer since I
used to use OSS.

My first question relates to my SB-Live and routing...

Here's what I have:

My 'SB Live Analog/Digital Output Jack' switched on.  This is because I
have my Sb-Live connected via a digital SP-Dif 1/8-mini to RCA-style jack
on my 5.1 capable amp.

I have my TV-audio coming into the SB-Live Line-IN 1/8-mini jack.

The idea here is that I can play audio files on my computer (MP3 Etc) as
well as have the audio from the TV play on the 5.1 capable amp.

The playing of audio-files works fine - playing on all 6 speakers, but
unfortunately the TV-audio (plugged into the Line jack) only plays over
the two front speakers.

In order to have the TV-audio play at all, I had to  execute the command:

# amixer sset Line,0 90 captureon

So, my question is, How do I get audio from my Line jack to play over all
speakers?

I read in some archives and docs that this will work by switching off the
'SB-Live Analog/Digital Output Jack' and setting the 'Wave Surround' but
this really isn't an option since I am using the 'SB-Live Analog/Digital
Output Jack'.  In the past, emu-tools's emu-dspmgr let me setup routes
which accomplished this but unfortunately the emu-tools do not work on my
amd64/Debian distro.

My custom kernel: V2.6.10 is running Alsa V1.0.6.

I would appreciate any help that anybody can give!

Thanks in advance,
    Monty