Boot prompt

Janina Sajka janina at rednote.net
Wed Apr 6 21:23:48 EDT 2005

Syntha Voice could do that because it had a fully loaded OS.

The installer's boot> prompt comes up even before the linux kernel.
There's next to nothing loaded at that point.

Which doesn't mean there couldn't be a beep, but we'd have to mangle the
boot loader code to do that. So far, our approach has been to do the
least that's necessary to get things working.

Also, there are numerous other options which can be provided and are
useful sometimes. So, there's more going on here than just finding the
hardware synth.

For example, you can specify network connections, or params to do nfs,
ftp, or http based installations. Or, you might be starting a kickstart
installation. Etc.