Boot prompt

jim grimsby jimgrims at pacbell.net
Wed Apr 6 17:36:41 EDT 2005

OK. I'm aware how much extra effort it is to get the boot params in at
the right time when you don't have a beep from your bios to signal you.
In fact, I generally prefer to edit my boot script to include my params,
even at the cost of creating a new iso image for booting.
Hi, well here is an idea note it is only an idea I have no idea how to
go about implementing it at this point but maybe it is some thing for
kerk to think about. Now I have to go in to  some of my personal history
with another os.
Once long long ago there was a company in ca called synthavoice.  The
install program for there slimware package would detect your synthesizer
by sending out index marks and then would wait tell the synthesizer sent
them back if it got the right mark back it then new to use this
synthesizer.  Each time a mark was sent out the computer speaker would
beep letting you know the marker had been sent.  If no synthesizer was
found it would then give a sharp beep tone.
End of history.
Now I am aware that the beeps would not help me in this situation but if
the boo iso file had such a system then all the user would have to do is
get the pc to boot. Note note note this is not criatsism of the currant
way things work thing work good as it is just an idea to make things
work a little smoother. Also this would help all speakup users who have
modified iso files.  Now if I could just get a good iso of the flodora
I would be good to go.  I think I will wait tell we have them in torrent
or I have the extra bucks to by the cd's because I have downloaded the
iso files about 6 times and every one but disk 4 and the boot iso is
bad.  Note note note I am not saying the isos have problems on the
server but the download keeps resuming so many times that by the time I
get it I have a problem with it.
See I am learning to make sure I fraze things as to not jerk any ones
chain.  <smile>
I wish we could get some kind of sonicon along with the Boot> prompt,
but we caught a lot of hell when gdm included a beep with the login
prompt, so I don't expect we'll get anything with Boot>.

jim grimsby writes:

> There is no inconsistency here.
> Was not implying one on your part.
> The Red Hat 9 manual knows nothing about Speakup or installing the
> Speakup Modified. So, it tells you how to start a text install on
> screen. It will happily do that for you, but you're going to be
> unsatisfied without Speakup, I should think.
> Of course! The point here was not to debate how to start speakup.  The
> point here was to insure that the word linux was not needed. I thought
> the directions were wonderful in the howto and am going to follow them
> to the letter trust me on that one.
> Now, please tell me. Do I need to protect you from this kind of
> confusion in the HOWTO?
> No I would not think so.  I mean if you got a lot of users who were
> asking this question then you might want to point it out but it sounds
> like I am the only one at this point who has asked the question.
> Another reason I asked is my pc has a broken pc speaker that I have
been
> to lazy to replace so when I first tried the commands the first few
> times the boot timed out.  So nothing was happening when I was issuing
> my boot command.
> Text speakup_synth=acnts
> So I remembered that the redhat guide witch was infroant of me said to
> type linux before text.  Instead of trying it out like I guess I
should
> have done I asked just to verify that I was doing things the right
way.
> As I said when I said there was an inconsistency I ment that both
> manuals said the inisal command to get a text install was slightly
> different this was not a gritasisom of your howto  or anything.  This
> was just a request for clarifications.
> Thanks

Janina Sajka				Phone: +1.202.494.7040
Partner, Capital Accessibility LLC
http://www.CapitalAccessibility.Com

If Linux can't solve your computing problem, you need a different
problem.