getting off my windows dependency

Janina Sajka janina at rednote.net
Tue Apr 5 11:17:59 EDT 2005

Steve Holmes writes:

> I have several comments on this interesting thread.
>
> Conf files are helpful but many of these will reflect personal
> preferences.  I've looked often at some conf files that have been
> shared over time and I'll find parts that look interesting and helpful
> but other parts I would totally disagree with so I usually end up
> rolling my own.  Yes, I'm experienced now so perhaps would sing a
> different tune if I was new to this stuff.

Absolutely. As one who has shared her conf files for quite some time, I
would add that mine are usually in one state or another of development.
There are portions that work just as I want, and others that don't quite
work. Because they are mine and intended for my own use, these different
sections are not necessarily well identified or documented. Yet, I
believe it helpful to share them.

I do suspect, though, that we could find agreement on some basics. For
example, whether one is in pine, mutt, lynx, or links, one needs the
system cursor to be located where the current focus is.

Those of you who have harkened back to the days of DOS might recall this
fundamental criterion. It's no different today on the Linux console. It
does us no good, because of the way speech and braille interfaces work,
to have the system cursor abandoned to the lower right hand corner of
the display screen.

Of course, it does no sighted user any good either to not have an
indication of where the current focus is. They have simply been provided
other, historically familiar mechanisms to indicate this--such as the
so-called "highlight bar."

So, to contribute one such critical switch:

lynx -show_cursor

is essential to the blind user, and should be defined as the default via
~/.lynxrc or a lynx-site.cfg.

Ditto for pine and mutt.