Slackware upgrade woes

Chuck Hallenbeck chuckh at hhs48.com
Tue Apr 5 10:53:01 EDT 2005

I have been sitting on this SW 10.1 distro for a few weeks, and
yesterday decided to upgrade my SW 10.0 distribution to the new release.
I chose to do it like Adam described, following the procedure Patrick
recommends in the file "upgrade.txt" on disk 1, and everything seemed to
go okay, except for the kernel. My old kernel (2.4.26) remained in
place, although the 2.4.29 source tree was put in place. Before
rebooting I copied the speakup.s kernel to /boot, but not replacing the
original yet, and made a new entry in /etc/lilo.conf, then ran lilo.

Well, speakup.s (2.4.29) more or less worked, but my sound drivers were
not working, and my networking did not work.

So being a big boy and all, I patched the 2.4.29 source tree from my
checkout script, fixed a couple of things, then compiled and installed
the new kernel. Still no sound, but now networking works. I have mail,
my firewall is intact, web access is okay, but my sblive is not
detected.

Being superstitious, I used "removepkg" to drop all the alsa packages,
then installpkg to reinstall them again, still nothing.

Grrrrr...

I have three choices I am willing to make, and will be obsessing over
them for a few hours.

1. Do a clean install of SW 10.1, which will be a pain in the OS to say
the least.

2. Wave bye bye to Slackware and give Debian a whirl. I have Shane's
installation disk ready to go here.

3. See if I can get on board with Gentoo, which seems to be getting
noticed lately.

Meanwhile, patching 2.4.29 with the current speakup from CVS gives me a
crippled mark/cut/paste feature. Marking works fine, but cutting locks
up my system tighter than a drum. Not good. I cannot live without
mark/cut/paste any more.

Bummer.

Chuck

"Things are in the saddle, and they ride mankind." Ralph Waldo Emerson
Visit my download site at http://www.mhcable.com/~chuckh