Fedora

Dawes, Stephen Stephen.Dawes at calgary.ca
Tue Apr 5 09:52:08 EDT 2005

Yes, both apt and yum can reside on the same Linux installation. You
don't need both. They have vary similar functionality. It is my
experience that you can do everything in yum that can be tone in apt. In
fact, it is also my experience that yum is far better in not corrupting
the rpm database. The trick to both of this package managers is
identifying where the repository of applications is located.

Some history for you:
->
Apt started out as a debian application management tool, hence the name.
Debian does not use the same application packager as Fedora for example.
Debian's packages are maintained in a ".deb" format, and that is about
all I know about the debian package structure.
-> apt has been modified to work with RPMS, but the group that has done
the porting of apt to handle RPMS admits that it is not perfect.
-> Yum is built on the RPM platform. Yum stands for YellowDog Updater
Modified. YellowDog is just one of the many distributions using RPM for
the package manager.

Yum is installed by default, so why not use it. If it is simply because
you can't get a desired package, then you haven't pointed it to the
correct repository. This is going to happen with		 apt
also, so I would suggest instead of bashing one over the other, you
learn one well, and learn how to go and look for the repositories when
you don't get the application to install on your first try.

man yum, RTFM, will give you a wealth of good information.
Also google yum howto, and you will find some great information on all
that you can do with yum.

Are there rpms for emacs speaks? You bet. I don't know the exact
location for them, but rpmfind or google will find them for you in a
heart beat.

Lastly, If I am coming across a little to abrupt for you, it is because
it is early here, and you are getting this before my first cup of
coffee.

Steve Dawes
Phone: (403) 268-5527
Email: SDawes at calgary.ca

NOTICE -
This communication is intended ONLY for the use of the person or entity named above and may contain information that is confidential or legally privileged. If you are not the intended recipient named above or a person responsible for delivering messages or communications to the intended recipient, YOU ARE HEREBY NOTIFIED that any use, distribution, or copying of this communication or any of the information contained in it is strictly prohibited. If you have received this communication in error, please notify us immediately by telephone and then destroy or delete this communication, or return it to us by mail if requested by us. The City of Calgary thanks you for your attention and cooperation.