Backing up multiple user data

Luke Davis ldavis at shellworld.net
Thu Sep 30 03:19:20 EDT 2004

Okay.  Debian provides a pretty good man page for rmt, which, Greg, is in
fact the program used for this purpose, according to the info pages on
tar.

It uses a reasonably simple protocol, which PERL could emulate enough to
make this work, but I don't think that will be necessary.

Because, the following syntax works nicely, exactly as is:

tar --rsh-command=ssh --bzip2 -cf user at host:path/to/file.tbz files

The only problem this seems to have, and I get the same thing with the ssh
pipe, is that bzip2 seems to find garbage after EOF, in any bzip2 archive
created with this method.  Anyone have any idea what that is?

All kinds of diffing, against the original and the backup, the backup and
another backup done with a different method, and more, turns up no
differences between the backed up directories, so it doesn't seem to
matter much; but I still don't like it.

Luke