Backing up multiple user data

Janina Sajka janina at rednote.net
Wed Sep 29 19:59:12 EDT 2004

Well, maybe there are some unixes that don't change uid/gid, but I'm not
sure what the rules about preserving such data would be. How do you keep
from conflicting with the same uid/gid on the target system? If there's
a UID=500 for me on machine a, what's to say someone else doesn't have
that same UID elsewhere? I find this suspect. So, I tried an expiriment.
Look at the following:

#ls -l janina+paula.jpg
-rw-r--r--  1 pet pet  31191 Dec 30  2000 janina+paula.jpg
[root at concerto 19:53:59] pet#scp janina+paula.jpg  janina at bumpy:
janina+paula.jpg
100%   30KB   1.1MB/s   00:00
[root at concerto 19:54:50] pet#ssh janina at bumpy

Looks like the ownership got changed.

janina at bumpy:~$
janina at bumpy:~$ ls -l janina+paula.jpg
-rw-r--r--  1 janina users 31191 Sep 29 19:55 janina+paula.jpg