Laptop keymap... was: battery on notebook

Terry D. Cudney terry at wasaga.dyns.net
Wed Sep 29 16:41:31 EDT 2004

Hi all,

	Yes, Janina, you are right here. It is part of the speakup patches applied when you select speakup in the configuration of your kernel. I designed the keymapping to emulate the numeric keypad layout for the most part. David Borowski integrated it into the speakup patches and Kirk included it with them in CVS speakup.

	This was done over a year ago, and David  said that he was thinking of making user-definable keymappings easy at that time, I haven't heard from him in a long time. So I don't know if this is still in his 'to-do' list or not.

	I haven't messed with it since last year so I can't explain accurately/briefly what would be needed to alter the keymappings. However, it should not be too hard to do. Essentially, what you would need to do to customize your keymap to personal preference is:

After applying the CVS patches for speakup, modify the keymap definitions in:

/usr/src/linux/drivers/char/speakup/speakupmap.map

to suit your preferences. Then compile/install the kernel as normal and Congratulations! you now have your very own keymap definition.

	I'd suggest not doing this unless you are comfortable with compiling the kernel. ... and if something breaks... well, like Kirk says, "You get to keep all the pieces"!

	Read on...

On Wed, Sep 29, 2004 at 01:56:04PM -0400, Janina Sajka wrote:
> Sure is, and probably installed by default.
>
> The capslock key becomes the Speakup modifier. The rest is a la pop up
> keyboard, e.g. CapsLock-I is read current line and CapsLock-O is read
> next line.
>
> This isn't laptop specific. You can do it on a full 104 if you want to
> save your shoulder. I'm trying to do this more and more because my
> shoulder is showing signs of repetitive stress after 20 years of
> computing. I've even looked around for a keyboard with a left-handed
> numeric keypad because of that, but the pop up screen review is smarter.
	Glad you like it Janina! I use it on all my keyboards too. But not everyone likes the same layout! :-0

> What I have been meaning to ask Kirk and the others who work on coding
> these things is how hard or easy it might be to provide a means to flip
> the qwerty definitions. For example, to split bilaterally down the
> qwerty between g and h so that CapsLock (or left alt or some such) plus
> E becomes current line.
	You can do that if you want. See above.

	HTH,

	--terry

--

Name:	Terry D. Cudney
Phone:	(705) 422-0039
E-mail:	terry at wasaga.dyns.net

Having a smoking section in a restaurant is like...
having a peeing sectionin a swimming pool.